Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Healthy, Yummy Bread!

Super Great Whole Wheat Bread W/ Sunflower Seeds

Jeremy and I have both decided its our favorite



Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons yeast
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup gluten
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, raw
  • 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  1. Mix together all ingredients except for the flour . Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and let stand for 30 minutes till bubbly. Then add in the remaining flour till the dough is ready to rise. The dough should not be sticky and springs back when touched. Let rise for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or double in size in a greased bowl covered with plastic wrap. Form dough into a loaf and place in your loaf pan. Let rise another 30-45 minutes till double. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Butter the top when done and let cool.
Ruths Additions: I do mine in a bread maker (1 1/2 loaf size, with light crust), I want to try it in the oven as soon as I get another loaf pan. Also, I have tried cutting the oil in half by substituting pure non sweetened applesauce, that worked GREAT! I tried to do no oil, full applesauce, but my wheat flour was a little old, so it didnt turn out great. I will try that again and let you know how that goes! :) ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

  1. I made this bread and it was great!! I substituted 1 cup kamut flour, and added some pumpkin and sesame seeds too. I also used 1 cup Bob's Red Mill 10 grain hot cereal and 2 cups boiling water. You combine the cereal with water and let it sit for a half hour. Then you add it when you're making your sponge. This takes the place of the water in the recipe. it is amazing!!! Thanks Ruth!

    ReplyDelete