Tuesday, June 14, 2011

POT PIE, AMAZING STYLE!!!

Super Simple Veggie Pot Pie

I cant tell you how BIG a FAN I am, we all L-O-V-E-D this!

4 medium carrots, sliced
3 medium potatoes, chopped
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
4 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups mushrooms of choice (I have used chopped Portabello, fresh sliced, or canned sliced when I didn't have fresh;)
1 Large onion, chopped
2 cups Frozen green peas
Biscuit Topping (recipe below)
Cook carrots and potatoes in water in saucepan until tender-crisp.
Blend flour into melted coconut oil in medium saucepan over low heat.
Cook for 3 minutes or until smooth and bubbly, stirring frequently.
Stir in vegetable broth gradually; increase heat to medium. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
Stir in poultry seasoning, salt, pepper.
Place chopped onion, mushrooms, and frozen peas in baking dish or dishes. (I have used a deep cake pan or 2 deep 9 inch pie pans. If they are small pie tins you could probably use three or 4 my deep dish ones were really full. You can see in the picture that they some spilled over the sides while cooking;)
Drain carrots and potatoes place them in the pan also.
Pour in broth mixture over the vegetables.
Top with Biscuit Topping.
Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Biscuit Topping
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups rice milk
8 Tablespoons olive or coconut oil
Mix flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Add milk and oil all at once; mix just until moistened.

Ruth's additions: I cant tell you how much we LOVED this! WOW!!! This is by far the most AMZING thing we have had since our diet change! This is DEFIANTLY be a regular! I am going to try applesauce substitute for oil in the biscuit topping. The only thing I did different was no mushrooms because we dont like those. Plus this makes A TON!! I cut it in half, and it still made 2 pie tins! :) WOWOWOOWOW really TRY THIS ONE!!!

From simplehealthytasty.com

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it crazy how extremely yummy this was? I remember feeling the exact same way after I made this.

    ReplyDelete